- LEARN NEW THINGS: What you do remains constant, how you do it changes frequently.
- EMPATHIZE: Understand the importance of the customer-service side of a graphic design career.
- BE EXCITED: You’re in a pivotal career which will define and shape how all of these tools evolve with us. That’s crazy.
- Moore’s Law
- The number of transistors on a chip doubles every year while the costs are halved
- A transistor essentially allows or denies the passage of a current.
- Predicted we will reach the physical limits of the universe around 2020 in terms of how small we can make them
- Modern smartphones have 3-5 Billion transistors per chip in the phone
- The Augmentation Age
- Hunter-Gatherer Age (1,000,000 years—millions)
- Agricultural Age (1,000 + years—thousands)
- Industrial Age (100+ years—hundreds)
- Information Age (10+ years—couple decades, 90’s-2000’s)
- Augmentation Age (starting now)
- Our Tools are Changing
- They are no longer passive and require input directly from us
- Tools are becoming generative with the help of AI / machine learning
- You don’t get to decide how the general public interacts with this, so embrace it, get in front of it
- What’s important is Understanding what things do.
- Technology doesn’t have understanding that humans do. Empathy.
- Technology is only as good as the information we provide it.
- What is needed remains somewhat constant, how we make it has drastically changed.
- Augmenting rather than replacing.
- Designers will become conductors, rather than musicians.